If you have comments/additions/corrections, please post them HERE
Additional Quality Images would be welcome.
(Click on the images for a larger picture)
Jozef Pilsudski raised the Polish Legion to fight against Russia to regain Poland’s independence.
The stamps were charity stamps with no postal value and were intended to promote enlistment in the Polish Legion.
The four values exist perforated and imperforate. Printed in Vienna, 30 X 34mm.
These Cinderellas are plentiful and can be found as singles and in blocks.
Most blocks I have seen are forgeries and about half the singles are also forgeries.
1. The main feature of the forgery above is the missing talon in the left foot
2. The end of the tail is small and crude
3. The background between the numerals is incomplete
4. The head is shaped differently and there is a large dash on the right side
5. The background objects are completely different and lacking
NOTE – The rough perforations are not a common forgery trait.
I have seen these with clean perforations such as the auction block shown below.